Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sitting Down to Meals and Premeasuring Snacks: THE Key?

Back down to 131 lbs from last week's gain to 132. I definitely like FEELING this light and lithe. I don't think I look particularly terrific with such a skinny little butt and saggy flat chest, but if it feels good, so be it.

I have been more conscious about pre-measuring my snacks and not just stuffing handful after handful of nuts into my face for the last few days. Missed a real sit down and eat lunch today opting for raw nuts and fruit instead. Somehow, that is never as satisfying as sitting down to a meal with animal protein and vegetables. Psychologically, that meal-type feeling is important. I don't feel so justified at just grazing away when I have my 3 meals and 3 snacks (midmorning, midafternoon and evening). I need that kind of structure and fulfillment to stay on track. I have recently spoken with several people for whom weight is a real concern and was very surprised to learn that they have the same thing in common: never eat breakfast or any real sit down meal, have very few vegetables and fruits, eat at their desks or while standing, etc, don't perceive that they eat many calories but just grab snacks when they are hungry. If they aren't eating many fruits or vegetables or "meals", then I can only imagine that what they are eating are quick trans fat laden carbs: America's favorite food source. Don't mean to sound holier than thou here, but I am rather surprised to learn how many people don't eat meals and don't cook for themselves! I think that this is a bad societal trend and may account for a large percentage of the overweight problem in the US.

So now for my confession: food log for 5/7/10:

1 piece organic 7 grain toast with 2 tsp almond butter and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp flaxseeds
1 cup oolong tea w 1/4 cup 1% milk
1 cup coffee w 1/4 cup 1% milk and 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1 c strawberries
10 pecan halves

1 small red bell pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
3 oz salmon
2 c raw spinach

1 oz dark chocolate
2 c iced coffee
1/2 c 1% milk
1 tsp cinnamon

1 oz parmesan cheese
8 baby carrots
jicama
5 oz grilled chicken with tomatillo salsa and 1 tsp chipotle butter
1 small corn tortilla
grilled asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes
1/2 praline
2 1/2 glasses chardonnay

1 cup blueberries w 1 T whipped cream and 1/4 tsp cinnamon

ORAC 41,652

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!