Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dr. Lisa's take on...

The O2 Diet by Keri Glassman

Finally, for the first time in 25 years in Chiropractic, I have found an approach to eating, weight loss and health that resonates for me on every level! The O2 Diet by Keri Glassman outlines a fabulously healthy, enjoyable, delicious and therefore EASILY SUSTAINABLE eating and lifestyle plan that not only creates weight loss, but also increases energy and beauty! Even more importantly, this approach to eating and living focuses on what we CAN eat as opposed to what we shouldn't eat. I hate diets that are based on don'ts and deprivation. I immediately fall off the wagon when I feel deprived (yeah, call me a rebel).

As awesome as all of this sounds, the very very VERY BEST part of The O2 Diet is its potential to drastically reduce the risks for heart disease, cancer, diabetes and degenerative disease. That is because the O2 diet is based on eating foods packed with anti-oxidants and super nutrients. There is no calorie, fat gram and carb counting either! Instead, the focus is on ORAC values, a measurement of a food's anti-oxidant activity.

Ms. Glassman wisely kicks off the eating plan with a 4 day cleanse to bump your energy and motivation way up! But this is not a weirdo juicing and herb cleanse nor is it a fast (which I DETEST for sooo many reasons). Sure you drink lots of lemon water, but you get to have caffeine (my drug of choice!) and real food like fish and poultry, eggs, fruit and vegetables. After the 4 day cleanse, you shift to a 2 week plan that is pretty low in refined sugar and carbs but very high in many of my most favorite foods and SNACKS! But DO HEAR ME: this is NO South Beach Diet. It is far healthier and more sustainable.

After two weeks, eating options expand fully to include more complex carbs and what Ms. Glassman calls "conscious indulgences" which could include her super tasty blackberry margarita or carmelized pear and pecan french toast or chocolate covered pecans or coconut pudding! Yummm!

I am set and ready to go: I am starting on the full O2 Diet (or eating lifestyle as I prefer to call it) on Monday January 25.

Stay tuned for my daily blog! I will indicate my starting weight, energy levels and a full on recounting of my ups and downs, likes and dislikes and the full monte!

Dr. Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Lisa... You've left us all hanging. How is week 2 going?

    meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm posting. are you not gettin it, Meg? others seem to see it??

    ReplyDelete

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!