Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hypo or Hyper?

It is Thursday, March 11, and I have finally returned to eating the O2 Lifestyle way without much gastrointestinal irritation. My final hurdle is the breakfast meal. I was having plan hot oatbran cereal for the last 10 days or so, unable to digest anything more complicated than that first thing in the morning (meaning no nuts, nonfat milk, fruit, coffee, green tea, etc). Today I tried my favorite weekday breakfast of 1 slice of 7 grain bread with 2 tsp unsalted almond butter. MISTAKE! I had a lot of indigestion (can we say BURPING?) for the next hour. Thank God most of that was spent driving to work and not with my patients! I don't think anyone wants their chiro burping in their face! Snacks, lunch and dinner are all ok, and I can manage green tea, as well.

My last dose of prilosec was Monday, March 8. I have not noticed a difference since going off of it, so I see no reason to continue for the full 14 days (took it for 6) as I don't want my gastric acid production shut off long term. That can't be good. Now I am seriously wondering if my problem is not increased gastric acid as much as low gastric acid. The symptoms are remarkably similar: indigestion, burping, nausea. Increased gastric acid can cause heartburn, but low acid does not. I don't have heartburn. So I am trying a little vinegar on or with my meals to see if the extra acid helps. If it worsens my symptoms, I will stop. Any one else have any feedback? In the meantime, I will continue with ginger, cinnamon and tumeric all of which aid gastric function and fight H. Pylori Bacter, a common culprit in gastric problems.

Anyone out there have any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I have never had stomach problems until I started the o2 diet. I have serious stomach upsets every 3 or 4 days. I am going to see a gastro and I have also ordered some vitamins that should help. I think I may stop the o2 diet. I have lost 12 pounds so far but I cannot stand the stomach aches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zeyi, email me at drsteindc@yahoo.com. Let me know when you get your symptoms and how you feel when you get them. I may ask you about what your most common foods and drinks on the O2 diet are. the most common triggers are the lemon water, the tea and beans like black beans, soy, tofu, etc.

    Also, it is possible that if you went without wheat for a while and now are eating it every now and then that you have uncovered a gluten intolerance.

    ReplyDelete

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!