Monday, March 8, 2010

Oscars, Red Hots and Junior Mints: strategies for coping with the Devil

Just read Keri Glassman's FB page today and was reminded how important it is to have my snacks and meals pre-planned, and when possible, prepped to take to work, etc. If I don't do this, I am far more likely to skip a snack or even possibly a meal (often this is lunch on the weekends) which leads me to, you guessed it, justify some poor choices at dinner or after, ie, a dessert AND some wine, etc). I do really well when I have my lunches and dinners made ahead to take to work (I eat dinner at the end of my work shift before I get home because I have a long commute and I don't get home until 8 pm. Since I go to bed at 9:30 pm, that does not leave enough time to digest my dinner, contributing to acid indigestion. Besides, I am ravenous by 6:45 pm when I am done with my last patient.) I am even good about pre-planning and packing my morning and afternoon snacks during the work week. If I am going out to dinner or lunch, I am careful to select restaurants that serve salad and lean protein such as fish or sashimi and seaweed salad. I avoid Indian restaurants as it is really hard to eat lean protein and steamed or raw vegetables in those establishments. I also avoid Pizza places and all fast food. That's no big sacrifice for me, as I have long avoided all of those.

Strangely enough, I have the hardest time with my weekend lunches. I am usually at home, and I just don't feel like preparing a salad with protein or steamed vegetables and protein, and I don't eat carbs at lunch EVER! as they make me drowsy so sandwiches and wraps are OUT. My brilliant new idea is to make a big batch of soup on Wednesdays so I can easily heat it up on the weekends as well as take it to work. I know, I know, there are a lot of decent canned soups out there, but I like to make soup, and my own are better. Furthermore, if I am going to be running errands on the weekend and missing lunch at home, I can just tuck a thermos of soup into my car ahead of time. Expect to see more soup recipes on this blog in the future!

So last night I went to an Oscar's Party. I had a glass of white wine, and it did no harm to my tummy (Yay!), but then out came the "movie snacks": little bowls of Red Hots, Junior Mints, Milk Duds and fresh popped popcorn on each table. After my delicious and nutritious dinner of grilled salmon atop a bed of steamed vegies, I could not keep my hands out of those little devils. My old hand to mouth, nonstop snacking addiction, took over, and I must have had 30 Red Hots!

NOTE TO SELF: keep the tempting little buggers out of my visual range! I could have moved away from the table where the snacks were (my table mates wanted them on the table, so I could not kindly remove them), and that is a strategy I will have to employ in the future!

But, as the brilliant and optimistic Keri Glassman says on today's FB page, every meal is like a Monday morning, a chance to eat a nutritious meal. And today IS Monday, and I am off to a good start! Here is to a nutritious dinner and fresh blueberries for a snack tonight!

Gobble gobble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!