Saturday, February 13, 2010

Facing down the Phase III challenge

Made it through a night out last night pretty successfully. I enjoyed 1.5 glasses of red wine, some short rib braised in a honey wine reduction with braised chard and carrots and a small cup of tomato fennel soup. For dessert a had my first dried hibiscus flower which I got at Trader Joe's. I wonder what the ORAC value of THAT was?? Hibiscus is supposed to be good for lowering blood pressure. I imagine it does have an ORAC value. Anyway, while I did succomb to a little more than 1 glass of wine, I left a half glass on the bar and sipped very very slowly while we watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics at the Huntington Station bar in Morgan Hill after dinner. I had the primo seat right in front of the bartender, and I just kept ordering sparkling water--had about 3 of those!

This morning I made a super yummy scramble of 1 yolk/3 whites, purple kale, red bell pepper and artichoke heart seasoned with a little habanero hot sauce which I downed with 1 slice of 7 grain toast. Dang! I forgot the oregano. Oh well, I added a bunch of cinnamon to my French Roast with 1/2 c. organic 1% milk. Yummy breakfast. I know we are supposed to have 1 cup of nonfat milk at breakfast, but I save the other 1/2 c for some decaf coffee or tea later in the day: another opportunity for cinnamon!

I just filled out my first daily log last night! I have been such a bad girl by neglecting the logging and counting of ORACs, although I am pretty confident I am exceeding the 30,000 ORACS daily by focusing on very high ORAC foods: granny smiths, asparagus, artichoke hearts, kale, red cabbage, pecans, cinnamon, oregano, tea, blueberries, tomatoes, red bell peppers,spinach.

I am also forgetting to do daily pampering, although, honestly, my life is pretty relaxed. I have a long standing habit of getting 7-8 hours of sleep, exercising 5-6 days per week, and working only 35 hours per week.

But, while working to stabilize on phase III, I am going to start logging my intake daily. maybe not on this blog--too boring. But I'll try to continue with recipe ideas.

Tonight: an "International Food Olympic Party" at Kate's. There will be some amazing food and wine there, so I will be challenged ONCE AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!