Thursday, February 11, 2010

Last Day of Phase II--just when I am getting used to it!

Well, today is my last day of Phase II, just when I am getting used to it! In Phase III, we get to add a high ORAC value complex carb at dinner--such as a sweet potato--and a Conscious Indulgence--such as a glass of red wine or 1/2 oz dark chocolate if we want. Whoo hoo!

Uh...ah, I guess I better confess my bookclub night indulgence, although it was far better than a typical bookclub. I abstained from all the wine and what was described as an absolutely delicious chocolate mousse cake! For dinner I had a little poached salmon and 1/2 chicken breast, bell peppers and a spinach and tomato salad with vinegar and herbs. For dessert I had some nonfat plain yogurt with cinnamon, cardamom and about 1/2 c berries. Then came the cheat: raw unsalted pistachios which ARE a high ORAC nut, but I succombed to my non-stop munching so I had just a tad more than the 18 pistachio limit. I probably had 3 times that many! So the next morning at snack time I had blueberries but no nuts.

For the past two days I had the same fabulous Vietnamese Chicken Salad (shredded cabbage, carrots and onion topped with sliced chicken breast and about 1 tsp of chopped peantus and a rice vinegar dressing) and both days I felt so sated that I had NO CRAVING. I think it is because there is enough volume to the meal, mostly vegetable. I have also noticed that when I have enough vegetables at dinner, I don't crave more food. I think this is about getting my stomach just full enough to trigger my satiety center in my brain to send me the signal to stop eating. I am used to eating enough food that I am pretty full, HQ 2-3. So now I do best when I finish a meal at HQ 3-4 (satisfied to pretty satisfied). Finishing at 5 (neutral) just leaves me wanting MORE! Maybe I will move past this if I can get really used to finishing a meal at 3-4 consistently.

Overall, I can say that my cravings for sugar have declined dramatically, and I am really dialing into portion control on trailmix and nuts (my previous default snack of choice when I would eat about a CUP at a time!!)

My next challenge in Phase III will be to keep those Conscious Indulgences within limits--ie STOPPING the wine at 1 glass instead of 2 and keeping the dark chocolate to 1/2 oz instead of...oh...4 oz!!!!!!

Weigh in tomorrow! Wonder if I have gained! I'd be happy to hold even at the 135 I hit last week!

Stay tuned

Oh, do post if you notice you have trouble finishing a meal at the HQ of 5-6 (neutral or still slightly hungry) as Keri suggests we do! Have any tricks for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!