Monday, February 8, 2010

Fast Eatin'

Today Keri made some good suggestions dealing with a craving. She suggested waiting it out 10 minutes to see how I feel. If the craving persists, I could have a tsp of peanut butter or eat additional protein at lunch if I am just plain hungry. Today, I got through it with some coffee and waiting it out until my snack. After my snack of bells and almonds, the craving subsided.

I am realizing now that I often feel like eating MORE right after I finish a meal, and this has been a lifetime pattern. I probably eat too fast and my satiety center in my brain has not had time to kick in the signal that I am satisfied. OR It may be that I could use more protein at meals. I have a fairly high metabolism and an active job and lifestyle.

I have to be very careful about nut butter. I carefully dole out 2 tsp on my 7 grain toast in the morning, but I can really really go to town on that stuff if I am not super careful. I DARE NOT take it to work! I have those little .25 oz wrapped Scharffenberger chocolates in my desk drawer in case of dire emergency. Today I did not succomb. YAY! I think drinking lemon water may quell a craving. If it is tart enough, it ruins my "taste" for anything else. I will try that tomorrow along with a little more protein.

I think the most important thing about this diet (other than building ORAC value awareness) is controlling my portions and learning to eat consciously. When I know that I get a limited amount, I eat more slowly and really savor each bite. The other amazing feat is that I am starting to realize I have far more self discipline than I EVER thought I had! Now THAT is cool!


Anybody else eat so fast that after the meal, you still feel like eating, not knowing if you have had enough or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away. I will try to answer all questions!